App Catalog and deployment in a production environment

I’m looking at the current application deployment documentation and the current requirement for new applications is to not be sideloaded OR downloaded and installed. What is the current level of support by Poynt for deploying applications? I see references to the app catalog but I haven’t been able to locate any documentation or support for that process. Do you all have a stop gap measure for application deployment before the app catalog is ready?

Additionally, are you going to provide a mechanism for stores to control what applications are visible? For instance, what if a customer wants to be able to turn OFF the calculator, register and terminal applications once their full implementation goes live?

Hello. The Poynt app store is currently under development. Meanwhile, we’re working closely with several app developers during their development cycles. For some developers that are further along, we are facilitating pilot app deployments to live Poynt terminals at actual merchants, as well as introducing developers to our acquirer and ISO partners. If your development is at this stage, please send me an email (neil@poynt.com).

As for your question about visible application icons – we are exploring options on management of the merchant facing app deck. We’ll count your post as a suggestion for more merchant control over the interface.

So the upshot is that PoyntOS is evolving, and you can expect there to be several improvements and changes – and we’re always glad to receive feedback.

BTW, for those of you that do not have Poynt DevKits yet – you can side-load apps onto your test device with:

adb install your.apk.